How will the competitions be structured?
- Subject to clubs’ meeting the criteria, The Championship is a 12-16 club competition for both men and women to be aligned with the A-League season, commencing in October 2020.
- Expansion to 20 teams is envisaged over five seasons by 2025.
- Each season is to include a home-and-away round with the men’s and women’s games to be held contiguously, at the same ground, on the same day.
- No fixture is to clash with an A-League fixture in the same city.
- The season will conclude with a finals series, starting with four teams (in a 12-16 team competition) in 2019 and moving to six teams (for a 20-team competition) by 2025.
- Clubs may also continue to participate in the winter state-based NPL competitions.
- We will apply to the Asian Football Confederation for the winner of The Championship to be granted a place in the Asian Champions League.